Slow Food Cincinnati Snail of Approval is awarded to organizations who hold similar values as our mission of developing an “open food community by improving access, facilitating dialogue, and inspiring local food culture. We hope to foster an environment that works to develop, create, and savor food in a way that is educational, respectful, and delightful.”
In order to be considered for a Snail of Approval Award, the nominees must agree to a site visit and evaluation by the Slow Food Snail of Approval Committee.
Snail of Approval Categories:
- Restaurant: A Greater Cincinnati dining establishment that sources many of their products from local farms.
- Farm: Small agricultural operations who sell their goods in the Cincinnati area. Products could be produce, eggs, meat, maple syrup, honey, or grain.
- Food Artisan: Non-industrial craft food created by a small, local business.
Nomination and Evaluation Process
Application and Nomination Process
- SFC Board Brainstorms Potential Nominees: Feel free to contact us with suggestions for 2020 as we’ve already selected organizations for 2018
- Applications Sent to Potential Nominees: Potential nominees are contacted, at which point they may decide to proceed with the application.
- Applicants Apply: If organizations want to participate, then they must fill out the application n sent to them by SFC and return by the due date.
- Application Review: The Snail of Approval Committee and Board review nominations and applications and select several organizations to be evaluated (categories: farm, restaurant, food artisan).
- Site Visits: At least 1 sub-committee member and 1 other board member visit organizations to review their practices during spring – summer. Must be 2 people at each review.
- Committee Evaluation: Nominee visits are discussed and the evaluation form is filled out. If the organization does not meet Slow Food’s Snail of Approval expectations, nominee will not be considered for an award that year.
- Snail of Approval Vote: Committee presents to the board meeting in the summer. The vote will be tallied and announced publicly at the awards ceremony (the winners will be notified beforehand and invited to participate in the awards dinner).
- Awards Dinner: Awards ceremony held in October.
To maintain the integrity of the Snail of Approval, two years after the Snail of Approval Award winners receive their award, they will need to fill out a new application to make sure they are maintaining standards. Committee will review these applications.
We are no longer accepting public nominations for Snail of Approval.