Today we give thanks to all those who work to promote good, clean, and fair food for all. Do you want to help Slow Food Cincinnati promote these values in our region? Join us!
Slow Food Cincinnati is in a period of exciting development and we are looking for some dedicated volunteer board members to help lead this growth. Specifically, we are looking for individuals interested in building the Slow Food community – sharing the joys and pleasures of good, clean, and fair food in a way that is welcoming and accessible to all.
The SFC board currently consists of six passionate individuals filling the roles of Chair, Treasurer, Events, Education, Snail of Approval, and International Liaison/Slow Food Planet. As a young and evolving organization, we are flexible in how we approach responsibilities while expecting a minimum two-year commitment to leadership as we continue to build in a sustainable manner.
Slow Food Cincinnati promotes good, clean, and fair food for all in the Cincinnati region, and works to promote an open food community through inspiring educational opportunities and events that facilitate dialogue and promote local food culture. Our signature programs and events include:
- Snail of Approval: an award for farmers, food artisans, and restaurants that recognizes their commitment to the Slow Food principles of good, clean, and fair.
- Slow Food Planet: a city-by-city app built in conjunction with Slow Food Chapters around the world. Similar to “Yelp” except that recommendations for places to eat, play, and shop are compiled by local residents and promote businesses that incorporate Slow Food principles into their operations.
- Urban Gems: An annual tour of a Cincinnati neighborhood that highlights merchants and organizations in that neighborhood who promote good, clean, and fair principles in their work.
We hope to build upon these successes with better community outreach and more educational programs that can connect those unfamiliar with the Slow Food movement to the wonderful and numerous farmers, food artisans, and restaurants in our region. We also hope to provide more opportunities for individuals to learn how to best take advantage of the great Slow Food resources we have here in Cincinnati, and to cultivate knowledge and understanding of why it is important to source one’s own food from good, clean, and fair purveyors. We are specifically looking for individuals interested in taking on the roles of Communications and Community Outreach.
The SFC board meets monthly for a delicious dinner and discussion, either at a restaurant or the home of a board member. Aside from this 2-3 hour commitment, one can expect to commit an additional 6-10 hours/month on average. In late January/early February, we hold a board retreat to plan programming for the year.
If you are interested in joining Slow Food Cincinnati’s efforts over the next two years, please consider the following questions. Send your responses as part of or along with a personal introduction to email@example.com.
- What inspires you to be involved in the Slow Food Movement?
- What is your philosophy regarding food production and access?
- What specific food issues are you interested in that inspire you to volunteer for the SFC board? Please elaborate!
- What skills do you bring to the table to promote good, clean, and fair food for all in the Cincinnati region?
- Do you have any experience working or volunteering with food, environmental stewardship or social justice concerns?
- How much time can you commit to SFC each month?
We look forward to hearing from you!