Mark Your Calendars for These Upcoming Events
- Friday, July 30th: Movie and Gelato with SFC Join Slow Food at UC’s Niehoff Urban Studio for a free screening of PolyCultures, a 2009 film about re-establishing a healthy food system in urban Cleveland. We will have Dojo Gelato, beer, and popcorn available for purchase. Doors open at 8:30, film begins at 9:00. Event is free and open to the public.
- Saturday, August 7th: Tomato Canning with Turner Farms Want to learn how to can your own food? Slow Food Cincinnati and Turner Farm are teaming up with Lydia Hirsh to offer this beginners hands-on workshop teaching the basic fundamentals you will need to can tomatoes for enjoyment once summer is long gone! We will start with organic tomatoes we’ll pick straight from the vine, and everyone will go home with three pint jars of tomatoes. Details are still being finalized for this popular class.
- Saturday, August 21st: Berry Picking Slow Food Cincinnati will head to Alpine Berry Farm in Batesville, IN for a day of berry picking with friends. Admission is free, pay for what you pick.
- Saturday, August 28th: Farmers’ Fair Come down to the Roebling Entertainment District in Covington for this all-day celebration of local food! The event will feature a Farmers’ Market from 10-4, as well as food and wine tastings from local chefs and vineyards, cooking demonstrations, educational activities for the whole family, and featured speaker Ed Begley, Jr. Proceeds benefit Slow Food Cincinnati, as well as CORV (Central Ohio River Valley) Local Food Guide, the Northern Kentucky Chapters of the Future Farmers of America, and the Ohio Valley Foodshed Project. Please visit theFarmers’ Fair website for the most up-to-date information or to volunteer for this wonderful event. Admission is free.
- Sunday, October 10th: Slow Food Dinner at Nectar Join Slow Food Cincinnati for a private dinner at Nectar in Mt. Lookout. Chef/owner Julie Francis embodies Slow Food ideals year-round, serving local, seasonal, and organic ingredients whenever possible. Once details are finalized, the event will be opened to our current Slow Food members first. Any remaining available spots will be opened to the public.
But Wait, There’s More! Keep an eye out for more info on these other exciting events later in the summer.
- Slow Food Day of Service Join Slow Food Cincinnati as we participate in this National volunteer initiative.
- Bread Baking with Blue Oven Bakery Slow Food Cincinnati will travel to Williamsburg, OH to get a lesson from the pros at Blue Oven in how to bake bread.
- Cheese Making with Blue Jacket Dairy Angel from Blue Jacket Dairy will be offering a free cheese making demo here in Cincinnati.
- Member Meeting All registered Slow Food Cincinnati members are invited to join us for our membership meeting, which will be held in late fall, to discuss the future direction of our chapter.
We are grateful to Jennifer and Jordan of Fab Ferments, to Turner Farm, and to everyone who came to the fermenting class, for helping to make it such a great evening and a wonderful learning experience. We could all use a little “culture” in our diets!