Mark Your Calendars for These Upcoming Events:
- Thursday, June 17th: Fabulous Fermenting 101 Want to learn how to ferment your own food? Join us for a hands-on learning experience at Turner Farm with Jennifer and Jordan from Fab Ferments to learn about the health benefits and culture of lacto-fermented vegetables. This is a beginners hands-on workshop teaching the basic fundamentals you will need to make your own raw cultured veggies! Everyone will go home with three quart jars of fermented food. Jars will be provided, but please bring a harvest basket, cutting board, knives and a pounding instrument. Space is limited so reserve your spot by paying the class fee now! Cost is $30.
- Saturday, July 17th: Campbell County Backroads Farm Tour Slow Food Cincinnati will join the Campbell County Farmland Work Group for the Backroads Farm Tour Saturday, July 17th from 9 a.m to 5 p.m. This self-guided driving tour of 17 farms will illustrate the variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, honey, beef, wines, and horse farms that give Campbell County its special character. meet local farmers and experience farm life at its best. Visit their website in June for a map and full schedule. Admission is free.
- Saturday, August 28th: Farmers’ Fair Come down to the Roebling Entertainment District in Covington for this all-day celebration of local food! The event will feature a Farmers’ Market from 10-4, as well as food and wine tastings from local chefs and vineyards, cooking demonstrations, educational activities for the whole family, and featured speaker Ed Begley, Jr. Proceeds benefit Slow Food Cincinnati, as well as CORV (Central Ohio River Valley) Local Food Guide, the Northern Kentucky Chapters of the Future Farmers of America, and the Ohio Valley Foodshed Project. Please visit the Farmers’ Fair website for the most up-to-date information or to volunteer for this wonderful event. Admission is Free.
- Sunday, September 12th: Cooking Class and Dinner at Granny’s Garden Did you know we have the largest school garden program in the Midwest here in Cincinnati? Granny’s Garden School serves all of Loveland’s K-4th grader’s, but when school’s out, Slow Food gets to play! Join us for a cooking class to learn new techniques and recipes for seasonal ingredients you may not be used to preparing. After the class, we’ll enjoy the fruits of our labor, of course! Details are still being ironed out, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted.
But Wait, There’s More! Keep an eye out for more info on these other exciting events later in the summer.
- Sustainable Sunday Join Park+Vine, Slow Food Cincinnati, and the Miami chapter of the Sierra Club for our next Sustainable Sunday. We’ll meet at 11 a.m. at Park+Vine, stop by Coffee Emporium for a fuel-up, then head out on a leisurely stroll along the river to Maribelle’s for lunch. We’ll plan to be back at P+V around 2 p.m. or so. Check our blog or facebook page, or P+V’s facebook page or twitter for final details and to learn how to RSVP.
- Berry Picking Spend a day with your Slow Food friends picking fresh, delicious berries. Because berries are so dependent on the weather, this event will likely be short notice, but open to all. We’ll send out an email and update our blog to let you know when and where to meet us!
- Coffee Shop Talks Let’s sit down with a cup of coffee and a local producer or grower to get to know more about what makes their business Slow. Please let us know who you’d like to see featured in these talks.
- Member Meeting at Brylan’s Coffee Cafe All registered Slow Food Cincinnati members are invited to join us for our membership meeting, which will be held sometime in July at the lovely Brylan’s Coffee Cafe in Newtown, where we will discuss the future direction of our chapter.
- Event Survey We have some ideas brewing, but we’d like to hear what you think of them. Please take our brief survey to help us plan future events.
We’d love to hear from you. Please take the time to fill out our brief event survey to help us determine what types of events we should host in the future– we’re not having fun unless you’re having fun! If you are interested in volunteering to help with events or if you have event ideas, please email Laura at email@example.com.